Below is a list of Volunteer Opportunities you may or may not be aware of at FUMCVC. If you are interested in helping with any of these opportunities, just contact the office and we’ll get you in touch with the right people!
Ministry Teams are groups of people who work together for one goal. They are people who all have the same passion. Throughout the year, we will have different Ministry Team opportunities. Prayerfully consider where your passion lies and then join a Ministry Team that matches that passion. Please contact the office at 316-755-1112 if you would like to help with any of these opportunities.
- “The Listening Ear” – Volunteers from FUMCVC would go to one of the three elementary schools and listen to children read out loud for an hour once a week. Volunteers would be partnered with the same teacher each week. You will be able to pick you own day and time from a list of available times from the schools.
- Did you know…every Wednesday (when VCHS/VCMS is in session), a group of kids walks to the church after school to hang out, do homework, or whatever until UMY begins at 6:30 p.m. Currently Brian Potillo and Jerri Hoffine sit with the kids in the WCC, but we’re always looking for extra help. Can’t help right after school? We’re looking for individuals or groups to fix a dinner for about 30 kids that is served at 6:00 p.m.
- Youth Mission Trip Planning – In case you haven’t heard, the youth are going to stay local this year and host their own Mission Trip in Valley Center! This is going to take many hands…young and not-so-young! If you are interested, please plan to attend the first planning meeting on Thursday, October 15 (no school at VCHS/VCMS) at 10:00 a.m. in the Fireside Room.
- 5th Quarter Party – A 5th Quarter is a practical outreach to teenagers. The event can keep kids, of all walks of life and faith, off the streets on Friday night, any maybe keep them out of trouble or an accident. It is a great way for us to show God’s love to the teenagers of our community. We need adult volunteers to help chaperone the teens and/or bring snacks from 9:30 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. on Friday, October 30.
- Valley Center Chamber of Commerce will host Trick-or-Treat Street on Saturday, October 31 from 5:00-7:00. We need volunteers to sit outside Main Street Threads and pass out candy during that time. Want to decorate a trunk and sit along the south side of Main Street? Super! We can do that too! Costumes are optional but encouraged!
- VCHS FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Party – The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is touching millions of lives… one heart at a time. Since 1954, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes has been challenging coaches and athletes on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels to use the powerful medium of athletics to impact the world for Jesus Christ. FCA focuses on serving local communities by equipping, empowering and encouraging people to make a difference for Christ. We need adult volunteers to help chaperone the teens and/or bring snacks from 5:00 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. on November 6.
- UMW (United Methodist Women) Fall Bazaar – It’s time again for the UMW’s biggest fundraiser! We are hoping that church members will donate items for the bazaar on Saturday, November 14. The following items are suggested: homemade items, jewelry, pictures, aprons, small items of clothing like caps and mittens, and any other items that can be sold. Bring books, cookbooks, etc. for the book sale. Christmas items will be accepted. Bring the items to the WCC on Friday, November 13. We also need volunteers to make pies, help serve lunch, and help clean-up after lunch. Thank you!
- Hanging of the Greens – Each year the Sanctuary, main foyer, and Fireside Room are decorated for the Christmas season. We need helpers on Sunday, November 22 immediately after the 11:00 a.m. service.
- Children’s Christmas Play – The children’s Christmas play is coming and we always need costume and set design help.
- Main Street Threads – Have a free Saturday? We’re always looking for volunteers to work on Saturdays. Just contact the office if you would like to be put on the volunteer email list.
- FUMCVC accepts donations for: Box Tops for Education, Women’s Crisis Center, Lions Club, Sedgwick County Department of Aging, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Angels in Flight, Prayer Shawls, Valley Center Food Pantry, Main Street Threads, and Open Door’s Community Food Ministry. We’re always looking for people to help deliver the donated goods.
- The Fireside Café is open on Sunday mornings between 8:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. We need helpers for set-up and clean-up. Set-up consists of putting things out and transporting coffee from the WCC. Clean-up consists of putting things away and cleaning coffee carafes.